LATE CITY, 24 PAGES, AHMEDABAD, `4.00 ● TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 2018 ● WWW.INDIANEXPRESS.COM TheIndian EXPRESS DAILY FROM: AHMEDABAD, CHANDIGARH, DELHI, JAIPUR, KOLKATA, LUCKNOW, MUMBAI, NAGPUR, PUNE, VADODARA JOURNALISM OF COURAGE AT HEART OF STANDOFF ARIHANT’S PATROL OVER Govt wants Rs 3.6 lakh crore from RBI, a third of its reserves, central bank says no N-triad in place, submarine our shield against US sanctions in, blackmail: PM kickbuyIndia can Iran Calling its risk model conservative, Govt claims can manage funds with RBI SUNNY VERMA NEW DELHI, NOVEMBER 5 AT THE heart of the RBI-government standoffis a proposal by the Finance Ministry seeking to transfer a surplus of Rs 3.6 lakh crore, more than a third of the total Rs 9.59 lakh crore reserves of the central bank, to the government. The ministry has suggested that this surplus can be managed jointly by the RBI and the government. The Finance Ministry claims that the existing economic capital framework — which governs the RBI’s capital requirements and terms for transfer of its reserves to the government — is based on a very “conservative” assessment of risk by the central bank. Sources have confirmed to The Indian Express that the RBI views this attempt by the Government to dip into its reserves can adversely impact macro-economic stability. And RED FLAGS IN RBI ■ Using reserves erodes market’s confidence in govt’s commitment to fiscal prudence ■ Dipping into RBI’s capital creates no new government revenue ■ A central bank with low capital level may lose credibility 16 WORLD CHINA, EU PROMISE TO RESIST SANCTIONS ON IRAN THE EDITORIAL PAGE Hashimpura and police prejudice BY VRINDA GROVER JAMMU, NOVEMBER 5 FOUR DAYS after J&K BJP secretary Anil Parihar and his brother Ajit were shot dead by gunmen in Kishtwar, Governor Satya Pal Malik Monday said that the killers have been identified and they will be brought to book soon. The Parihar brothers were shot dead from close range by suspected militants last week in Kishtwar’s Tapal mohalla and just days before panchayat polls in the state will be held in nine phases starting November 17. “Those people who did it have been identified and they will be brought before you very soon,’’ Malik said while talking to reporters on the sidelines of an event at ‘Will be the civil secrebrought tariat. “It has before you’ been 100 per cent terrorist related incident,’’ he said, adding that there are efforts to revive militancy in the area. “It has happened earlier also, but we will not allow it to succeed.” Malik described the killings as “very unfortunate’’, and said they were planned “out of frustration’’ among “their mentors of terrorists across the border” after the four-phase urban local body polls were conducted without any untoward incident. Following the incident, the police constituted a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the killing even as curfew was imposed in parts of Kishtwar. SHUBHAJIT ROY NEW DELHI, NOVEMBER 5 INDIA ANNOUNCED Monday the completion of its survivable nuclear triad by adding maritime strike capability to land and air-based delivery platforms for nuclear weapons. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, while declaring that India’s first nuclear ballistic missile submarine had completed its maiden “deterrence” patrol, said INS Arihant was an “open warning” (khuli chetavni) to “enemies of India and peace” and a “fitting response to nuclear blackmail”. Receiving the crew of INS Arihant, the Prime Minister said: “I congratulate all those involved, especially the crew of INS Arihant for this accomplishment, which will always be remembered in our history.” India has become the sixth country — after US, Russia, UK, France and China — to have a fully operational nuclear triad. “In an era such as this, a credible nuclear deterrence is the need of the hour. The success of INS Arihant gives a fitting response to those who indulge in nuclear blackmail,” Modi said. He was referring to the ‘second-strike’ capability provided by an SSBN (Ship Submersible Ballistic Nuclear) which is not only nuclear-powered but armed with nuclear missiles as well. It means that India can hide its ballistic missiles at sea for a long period of time and hit back at the enemy from sea, if its land and air-based delivery systems have been neutralised by the enemy in a nuclear strike. Modi underlined that “as a responsible nation, India has put in place a robust nuclear command and control structure, effective safety assurance architecture and strict political control, under its Nuclear Command Authority. It remains committed to the doctrine of Credible Minimum Deterrence and No First Use, as enshrined in the decision taken by the Cabinet Committee on Security in its meeting chaired by the then Prime Minister Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee on January 4, 2003.” During a deterrence patrol, a nuclear submarine carries nuclear missiles on board, where the command and control protocols for its operations are fully THE TRUMP administration Monday named India among eight countries granted temporary exemption for buying Iranian oil as the US imposed its toughest sanctions till date against Tehran. There was no immediate statement from the Ministry of External Affairs but sources in New Delhi said this was the result ofhectic negotiations over the last six months with US officials. India, China, Japan, Italy, Greece, South Korea, Taiwan and Turkey make the list of eight countries granted temporary waiver for purchase of Iranian oil. US Secretary of State Michael R Pompeo said these countries have shown significant reduction in oil purchase from Iran. Pompeo promised that the US will be “relentless” in pressuring Iran as he announced the temporary exemption list. The sanctions cover Iran’s banking and energy sectors and reinstate penalties for countries and companies in Europe, Asia and elsewhere that do not halt Iranian oil imports. India, which is the second biggest buyer of Iranian oil after China, is being pushed by the US to restrict its monthly purchase to 1.25 million tonnes or 15 million tonnes in a year (300,000 barrels per day), down from 22.6 million tonnes (452,000 barrels per day) bought in 2017-18 financial year, according to sources. New Delhi had pushed back on zero oil imports, citing its adverse fallout on the economy CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 12 ARUN SHARMA oil for now NEW DELHI, NOVEMBER 5 Killers of J&K BJP secretary identified: Governor Committed to doctrine of minimum credible deterrence, no first use: Modi SUSHANT SINGH Finance Minister Jaitley in New Delhi, Monday. Praveen Khanna ■ Using RBI reserves to recapitalize PSU banks creates problems of regulator owning banks LEOPARD SNEAKS INTO GUJARAT SECRETARIAT Staff of Gujarat Secretariat in Gandhinagar stand outside as the complex was cordoned off after CCTV footage (right) showed a leopard entering from under a gate on Monday. The leopard was caught a few hours later. Javed Raja REPORT ON PAGE 3 BJP Kerala chief lets it out: Sabarimala protests planned by party... all followed ‘Advised head priest that closing sanctorum won’t be contempt of court’ SHAJU PHILIP SABARIMALA, NOVEMBER 5 TRIGGERING A political firestorm in Kerala over the Sabarimala protests, an audio tape has emerged of BJP state president P S Sreedharan Pillai telling a gathering of the party’s youth wing that the violent agitation at the shrine against the entry of women of all age was “almost planned” by the BJP. Pillai is also heard claiming that he had advised the temple’s thantri (head priest), Kandaru Rajeevaru, that “locking” the shrine’s nada, or doors to sanctum sanctorum, would “not amount to contempt of court”. At the peak of the agitation last month, the tantri had warned that he would shut the nada if women between the ages of 10 and 50 entered the premises de- Under the spotlight: Kerala BJP chief Sreedharan Pillai made during a meeting of the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha in Kozhikode Sunday, saying that “there is nothing wrong in giving advice”. But Kerala Chief Minister and CPM leader Pinarayi Vijayan lashed out at the BJP, saying that the “odious politics and perfidious ways of BJP stand exposed”. CPM state secretary Kodiyeri Balakrishnan demanded a “high-level probe” CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 spite a Supreme Court order allowing them to do so. Pillai defended the remarks RELATED REPORT PAGE 14 Govt plan: Let ONGC focus on its big DECISION fields, give small ones to private firms 2018 Committee under Niti Aayog chief to work on roadmap AMITAV RANJAN NEW DELHI, NOVEMBER 5 THE PETROLEUMMinistry plans to offer up to 149 of Oil & Natural Gas Corporation’s discovered “small and marginal fields” to private companies and induct exploration technology giants in a few of the national explorer’s bigger fields. At a meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on October 12, the Ministry made a presentation showing that while 95 percent of ONGC’s production was from 60 large fields, 149 smaller fields contributed to a mere five per cent. It suggested that these smaller fields could be handed over to private firms letting the state-run explorer concentrate on the big ones where it could rope in technology partners through production enhancement contracts (PEC) or technical service arrangements. After the meeting, a six-member committee under Niti Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant was set up and given time until November 10 to come up with a firm plan after consulting all stakeholders. Others who attended this meeting were Finance Minister Arun Jaitley; Petroleum Minister Dharmendra Pradhan; ONGC chairman and managing director Shashi Shanker; Oil India Ltd (OIL) CMD Utpal Bora and Petroleum Secretary M M Kutty. Sources said other members of the committee are Cabinet Secretary P K Sinha; Aayog vice chairman Rajiv Kumar; Kutty; CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 JOGI-MAYAWATI ALLIANCE WILL HAVE IMPACT: RAMAN SINGH MIZORAM CM WRITES TO PM, WANTS CEO TO GO PAGE 11 PM meets the crew of INS Arihant. PMO Twitter INS ARIHANT Displacement 6,000 tons Range Unlimited Speed (submerged) 24 knots Speed (surfaced) 15 knots Reactor 83 MW PWR Launched July 2009 Reactor went critical August 2013 Commissioned August 2016 WAR OF WORDS OVER TIGRESS KILLING Fadnavis orders probe as his minister takes on Maneka EXPRESS NEWS SERVICE MUMBAI, NOVEMBER 5 MAHARASHTRA CHIEF Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Monday ordered a probe into the killing of Pandharkawada Tigress T1, who was believed to be responsible for deaths ofseveral people, to ascertain whether “there were any lapses in the operation” by the state Forest department. Indicating that ideally tranquiliser is induced to trap tigers, he said, “The probe will address all questions being raised by Union minister Maneka Gandhi.” This came on a day Rahul Gandhi took a dig at the BJP government over the killing oftigress, Avni, and Union Environment Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis Minister Harsh Vardhan retaliated by saying that the government does not need a certificate from the Congress president. In Mumbai, Maharashtra Forest Minister Sudhir Mungantiwar hit back at Union Women and Child Development Minister and animal rights activist Maneka Gandhi a day after her criticism of the state forest department. Taking objection to a series of tweets from Maneka on the animal’s killing in Maharashtra’s Yavatmal district on Friday, Mung- antiwar said, “If Maneka Gandhi had spent 50 paise to make one phone call to me, she would have been furnished with all factual details related to death of T1.” Mungantiwar also asked, “Why did Maneka Gandhi not raise any questions when Shafath Ali Khan killed a tiger in her constituency, Pilibhit, in 2009? Or why is she silent on villagers beating a forest officer and lynching a tiger to death in Uttar Pradesh recently?” Maneka had on Sunday tweeted, “It is nothing but a straight case of crime. Despite several requests from many stakeholders, (Sudhir) Mungantiwar, Minister for...gave orders for the killing.” Asked about Maneka’s statements, Fadnavis said the Union CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 ● PAGE ONE ANCHOR BUSINESS AS USUAL BY UNNY ON FIRECRACKER TRAIL IN DELHI: FROM DISCOVERY TO DESTRUCTION 2 days ago, Delhi Police seized 650 kg firecrackers — that was the easy part ANAND MOHAN J NEW DELHI, NOVEMBER 5 15 EXPLAINED TDP-Cong: Alliance of a different kind IT WAS a slow Saturday morning for the officer in charge of the malkhana (warehouse) at Sadar Bazar police station in old Delhi — except for the bloodstained slipper of an accident victim and a knife with markings recovered from the scene of a crime deposited by investigating officers. All that changed in the evening, however, when five officers brought in 79 boxes of firecrackers weighing 645 kg — from sparklers to “atom bombs” — that were recovered from a raid in Sadar Bazar, the hub of Delhi’s firecracker wholesale business. With Diwali around the corner and the Supreme Court banning the sale of “non-green” firecrackers in the National Capital Region to combat severe air pollution levels, Delhi Police have a hard task at hand — seizing and destroying firecrackers that reached markets before the ban. At the Sadar Bazar station, the boxes were gently placed inside a room designated by the Station House Officer, wrapped in white polythene packets and packed in cartons. “The malkhana in-charge had written to the SHO to designate a safe space for the crackers. Diwali crowds at Sadar Bazar, Delhi Monday. Prem Nath Pandey The crackers were kept inside a special room and we made sure that there was no source of fire, or any other case property. The officials even made sure that no additional pressure was applied when placing the crackers,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (North) Nupur Prasad told The Indian Express. According to officers, the first step in disposal is a green signal from the local Metropolitan Magistrate’s court. The firecrackers are then sent to the Faridabad office of the Petroleum and Explosives Safety Organisation (PESO), where they are stored in explosive magazines, which are reinforced storage facilities located in remote areas, before being dumped inside furnaces and burned. The firecrackers at the Sadar Bazar station are expected to reach PESO in the next two days, but officers said it would also take several months for the explosives to be disposed. “I have written several letters to them. It takes around five months sometimes to get the final report of destruction following which we submit the report to courts,” an officer said. According to the PESO annual report (2017-18), firecrackers weighing a total of 35 kg were destroyed last year. Following the Supreme Court’s order, Delhi Police have recovered more than 3,800 kg of firecrackers from the north, east, west and south zones in 29 separate cases and have arrested 26 persons in connection with the illegal production and sale. On Saturday, however, police did not expect to land such a huge haul. “When we weighed it on a weighing machine and found the crackers to weigh over 600 kg, we knew we had to act fast. Last year, the North district police recovered 367.5 kg of firecrackers in several raids,” an officer involved in the action said. “The malkhana has space for government and cases properties recovered from the scene of crime. But 600 kg of explosive material can gut the entire police station and the adjoining areas, if anything goes wrong. We had to act fast, but really slow at the same time in handling the explosives. Even a slight push can set them off,” the officer said. “The explosives were taken CONTINUED ON PAGE 2
Indian Express Limited is an Indian news media publishing company. It publishes several widely circulated dailies, including The Indian Express and The Financial Express in English, the Loksatta in Marathi and the Jansatta in Hindi.