DAILY FROM: AHMEDABAD, CHANDIGARH, DELHI, JAIPUR, KOLKATA, LUCKNOW, MUMBAI, NAGPUR, PUNE, VADODARA JOURNALISM OF COURAGE THURSDAY, OCTOBER 1, 2020, PUNE, LATE CITY, 16 PAGES `5.00 WWW.INDIANEXPRESS.COM SINCE 1932 ‘PHOTOS, VIDEOS NOT EVIDENCE: NO NEGATIVES PRODUCED, NO FORENSIC ANALYSIS’ ‘NO PLAN TO DEMOLISH MOSQUE: ACCUSED NEVER SAT IN A ROOM AND DISCUSSED’ ‘MIGHT HAVE BEEN PAK HAND: INTEL ON TERRORISTS AT SITE IGNORED’ Babri demolition: No one guilty Advani, Joshi and Uma among all 32 cleared, court says no evidence KAUNAIN SHERIFF M & MANISH SAHU BUSINESS AS USUAL NEW DELHI, LUCKNOW, SEPTEMBER 30 Meticulously planned, Uma took onus: Justice Liberhan BY UNNY L K AdvanioutsidehisNewDelhiresidenceaftertheverdict;thecourtacquittedall32accusedof conspiringtorazethe Babri Masjidin1992. Anil Sharma/File Justice Liberhan at his home in Chandigarh. Express For Sangh, shadow lifts in criminal case; for Opp, a bind as in temple ruling RAVISH TIWARI & LIZ MATHEW THE EDITORIAL PAGE THEDEMOLITION PAGE 8 spiracy charges were the leading lights of the Ram Janmabhoomi movement that led to the demolition of the Babri Masjid in Ayodhya on December 6, 1992: former Union ministers L K Advani,MurliManoharJoshi,and UmaBharti,formerChiefMinister ofUttarPradeshKalyanSingh,and former BJP MP Vinay Katiyar. CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 NEW DELHI, SEPTEMBER 30 THECBIcourt’sverdictinacriminalcasedispelsthe28-year-long shadow that hasstalkedthe leading lights of the Sangh Parivar’s ● Ramjanmabhoomimovement which led to the demolition of the Babri Masjid. That event,whichcleavedsocietyand politics, and set off violence across the country also cleared the way for what culminated in Prime Minister Narendra Modi E EXPLAINED A SPECIAL CBI court on Wednesday acquitted all 32 surviving accused in the Babri Masjid demolition case, citing lack of evidence. In his 2,300-page order, CBI Special Judge Surendra Kumar Yadav rejected evidence from photos, videos, and speeches of the accused, raised questions on the conclusions drawn by the prosecution, and referred to the possible involvement of Pakistani intelligence agencies andanti-socialelementsandterrorists disguised as kar sevaks who had entered the site. The order said there was no evidence that the accused had met “inside a room” to plan the razing of the mosque. Also, the judge ruled, videos of the demolition were not sent for forensic examination, and negatives of the pictures taken on that day were not produced –theycouldnot,therefore,berelied upon as evidence. “All evidence present in documentswasanalysed.Thecrime against the accused could not be established,”Yadavsaidinhisorder, written in Hindi. Amongthoseaquittedofcon- laying the first brick for the Ram temple last month. Despite the Supreme Court calling the demolition an “egregious violation of rule of law,” Wednesday’sverdictgivesaninstitutional sheen to the temple movement.Eveningovernment, theBJPalwaysdrewadistinction between being named in a corruption case — a ground for resignation — and being accused in CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 THE BABRI VERDICT CONG, TMC SLAM VERDICT; SP, BSP SILENT FULL COVERAGE PAGE 7 Far from justice: Muslim law board asks CBI to appeal order When SC pointed to conspiracy: calculated act, egregious violation ASAD REHMAN ANANTHAKRISHNAN G LUCKNOW, SEPTEMBER 30 NEW DELHI, SEPTEMBER 30 DESCRIBING THE special court's verdict in the Babri demolition case as “far from justice”, the All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) Wednesday urged the CBI to challenge the ruling “to uphold the law”. TheBoardsaidinastatement issued by its general secretary SyedMohammadWaliRahmani that the verdict was “neither basedon evidenceand norin accordance with the law”. “To uphold the rule of law, we urge the CBI to file an appeal,” it said. However, the AIMPLB itself TWO ORDERS of the Supreme Court in the last three years, both relatedtotheAyodhyadisputebut in entirely different matters, pointed to the charge of conspiracy behind the demolition of the BabriMasjidonDecember6,1992. On November 9, 2019, the more recent of the two orders, a Constitution Bench, while awarding the title suit to the Hindu parties and directing that thedisputedlandbehandedover to a trust for construction of a Ram temple, called the destruction of the Babri Masjid a “calculated act” and “an egregious vio- CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 MANRAJ GREWAL SHARMA & DIPANKAR GHOSE CHANDIGARH, NEW DELHI, SEPTEMBER 30 lation of the rule of law”. In their 5-0 ruling, the then Chief Justice of India Ranjan Gogoi, Justices S A Bobde, D Y Chandrachud, Ashok Bhushan and S A Nazeer said: “During the pendency of the suits, the entire structure of the mosque was broughtdownina calculatedact of destroying a place of public worship.TheMuslimshavebeen wrongly deprived of a mosque which had been constructed well over 450 years ago.” The order also recorded: “On 6 December 1992, the structure of the mosque was brought down and the mosque was destroyed. The destruction of the mosque took place in breach of “IFOUNDitwasacivilconspiracy, Istillbelieveinit.Fromalltheevidence produced before me, it was clear that the Babri Masjid demolition was meticulously planned... I remember Uma Bharti categorically took responsibilityforit.Itwasnotanunseen force that demolished the mosque, human beings did it,” Justice Manmohan Singh Liberhan told The Indian Express on Wednesday. The Liberhan Commission, set up in 1992 to probe the Babri Masjid demolition, had, in its report submitted in 2009, pointed to the involvement of senior RSS and BJP leaders, including L K Advani,MurliManoharJoshiand Uma Bharti, and connivance of CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 ‘MY MOTHER BEGGED, SAID LET ME TAKE HER HOME’ UP Police out in full force to cremate Hathras woman, away from family Cinemas to open, states can take call on schools: more unlockdown Last rites at 3 am, woman’s home barricaded, top officials, 200-plus police on spot AMILBHATNAGAR &JIGNASASINHA HATHRAS,SEPTEMBER30 The funeralpyreof theHathrasvictim,hourslater. Amil Bhatnagar DIPANKARGHOSE NEWDELHI,SEPTEMBER30 STATESANDUnionTerritoriescan take a decision on whether to open schools from October 15; cinemas and multiplexes will be allowed to open with 50 per cent capacityfromthesamedate;limits on outdoor gatherings have been removed while indoors gatherings will be allowed with 50 per cent capacity — there are among the new unlockdown guidelinesissuedbytheMinistry of Home Affairs on Wednesday evening. The guidelines, which are to comeintoeffectfromOctober15, also say PhD and post-graduate students of science and technologystreams—thosethatmayrequirelaboratorywork—canopen, while a decision to open all colleges “may be taken” by the Department of Higher Education in consultation with the Home Ministry. TheMHAhasrelaxedlimitson gatherings, both outdoor and indoor. “Now State/UT Governments have been given the flexibility to permit such gatherings beyond the limit of 100 persons outsideContainmentZones,after 15th October 2020”, the MHA said. The caveat, however, is that for indoor spaces, the gathering can'texceed50percentofthehall capacity or 200 people. For outdoor events, the guidelines say that the size of the ground must bekeptinmind,thoughtheMHA has not mandated a ceiling. CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 FROM THE time her body left Delhi’sSafdarjungHospitalat9.30 pm on Tuesday to a hurried cremation in a Hathras village 200 km away at 3.30 am on Wednesday—thefinaljourneyof the 19-year-old who was assaulted and allegedly gangraped by four upper caste men was markedbyadisregardtoprotocol andheavyhandednessbyapolice force that did not let her family perform her last rites. The 19-year-old Dalit woman died at 6.55 am on Tuesday at Safdarjung Hospital, where she had been shifted from Aligarh on Monday night as her condition had deteriorated. Her postmortem was conducted during the day. What transpired after: 9.30 pm: As the body was released and left for Hathras in an CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 SIT set up, but BJP’s Dalit MPs say: Image dented, politically damaging LIZ MATHEW & AVANEESH MISHRA NEW DELHI, LUCKNOW, SEPTEMBER 30 AS THE UP government set up a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the alleged gangrape of a 19-year-old Dalit woman by four upper caste men in UP’s Hathra, and her death, several of thestate’sDalitMPsfromtheruling BJP told The Indian Express that the incident has “dented” the administration’s image and is “politically damaging”. The MPs, however, blamed the incident on “deep-rooted casteism and corruption in police” while expressing their confidence in the state government. On Wednesday, following a call from Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath formed a threemember SIT to investigate the CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 MISSION BEGIN AGAIN IN MAHARASHTRA Inter-district train travel resumes, dine-in at eateries from October 5 EXPRESSNEWSSERVICE MUMBAI, PUNE, SEPT 30 THE STATE government has decided to allow resumption of inter-district train travel with immediateeffect.Accordingtonew guidelinesissuedonWednesday, as part of Mission Begin Again, restaurants, bars and food courts will also be allowed to resume services from October 5. Thenewguidelinesissuedby the Maharashtra government haveallowedresumptionoflocal train services in Pune region, including the Pune-Lonavala service which has been shut since March 25. “Local trains in Pune region can resume services as per the protocolandprocedurefollowed in MMR region. The CommissionerofPolice,Punewill bethenodalofficertocoordinate the same,” the guidelines stated. Railway officials with Pune Division said they will meet the Pune police commissioner soon todecideonthemannerinwhich services can be restarted. CONTINUED ON PAGE 2 Pune
Indian Express Limited is an Indian news media publishing company. It publishes several widely circulated dailies, including The Indian Express and The Financial Express in English, the Loksatta in Marathi and the Jansatta in Hindi.